In Chapter 4, Epstein provides us with a guide to repair arguments. Given an implicit argument that is apparently defective, we are justified in adding a premise or conclusion if it satisfies all three of the following:
1. The argument becomes stronger or valid.
2. The premises is plausible and would seem plausible to the other person.
3. The premise is more plausible than the conclusion.
Often, people leave out information, and so we must repair arguments by adding an unstated premise or an unstated conclusion. We assume that the other person: a) knows about the subject under discussion, b) is able and willing to reason well, c) is not lying.
An example of an argument would be " Michael is dressed nice. That means he's going on a date." This is not a good argument because there could be another explanation as to why Michael is dressing nice, it doesn't have to be a date. He could be dressing nicely for a job interview. Maybe he has a recital. He doesn't even have to have a specific reason for dressing nicely, maybe he simply just felt like dressing that way.
I like how you numbered the things you wanted to say. I think it is easier for me to read sentences in numbers, than in a big paragraph! I like your example of a repair argument. Michael dressed nice does not mean he is on a date. TRUE! He can do anything if he dressed well. Maybe that is the type of person he is. He probably likes dressing up because that is his style. I agree, he does not have to have a specific reason for dressing nicely. I have nothing else to say but I agree with your example. He probably feels like dressing up on that day… LOL good job!
ReplyDeleteI also like how you numbered your points! It was very easy to read and was communicated very clearly. I also really enjoyed your example and how you numbered the rules if repairing and argument. It was super easy to reference to. But concerning your example, so many times we judge based on someone’s appearance, especially with their clothes! When people are dressed nice, the automatic assumption is that they are either going somewhere or trying to impress someone. It's ironic that people assume this about someone's attire; some people enjoy fashion and putting outfits together. Thank you for your post!
ReplyDeleteYou have a great outline for your post. You first explain the steps in repairing an argument, then you give an example. Finally, you analyze the argument. Your post is very easy to follow and understand. However, I believe you miss out an important part. You do not have a fixed version of the argument(the one after reparation). I think the post would be much clearer if you add the repaired argument. It is clearer because the readers can compare the original argument and the repaired argument. After all, I think you do a great job. I think people always make assumptions or jump to conclusions before they analyze the premises. That is why weak arguments exist.
ReplyDelete