Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Structure of Arguments

My neighbor should be forced to get rid of all the cars in his yard. 1 People do not like living next door to such a mess. 2 He never drives any of them. 3 They all look old and beat up and leak oil all over the place. 4 It is bad for the neighborhood, and it will decrease property values. 5

Conclusion : It is bad for the neighborhood, and it will decrease property values.
Additional premises needed: Since he doesn't drive any of the cars, they are just taking up space. a
The oil that is leaking from the car is making the rest of the neighborhood look bad.
Identify subarguments: 2,3, and 4 are independent and support 1. Then 1 supports conclusion, 5.
Good argument: not strong enough.

To be completely honest, even after completing this exercise, I still am a little  confused. I don't really understand what's going on. If the purpose of this exercise was supposed to help make the concepts easier to understand, then for me personally, it was unsuccessful.

2 comments:

  1. I did this same example too. After reading yours, I think I'm not so sure as well because I got a different answer. I guess just some clarification would help just because the way I think this book is written is kind of poor. The language of it is a bit confusing and I can not totally understand what it is trying to say. I feel like I get it but I doubt myself sometimes too. I reread it over and over and look at the examples again trying to make sense of it and getting the point. You are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah the book can be so confusing sometimes, and i'm sure you probably had the right answer when i was doing this exercise i wasn't sure if i was right at all but yeah i sometimes try to keep reading it again and again to try and make sense of it and let it sink in. I definitely feel you on that one though!

    ReplyDelete