Thursday, December 9, 2010

What Have I Learned?

Taking this course has taught me  a lot including different aspects of arguments. I have learned the structure of arguments for example compound claims. I specifically enjoyed learning about how to avoid bad arguments. Many times when people try to convince someone of their argument, they go about it in the wrong way.  They try and convince someone with their choice of words rather than by an argument. By doing this, they make a concealed claim. A specific example is called a slanter, which is any literary device that attempts to convince by using words that conceal a dubious claim. Another example is a loaded question which is a question that conceals a dubious claim that should be argued for rather than assumed. Learning about all these different types of concealed claims helps you to become a better critical thinker and helps you to make your argument stronger or more convincing.

No comments:

Post a Comment