Thursday, December 9, 2010
Chapter 14 Interesting Concept
In chapter 14, Epstein talks about generalizing. I found this interesting because people make generalizations all the time. Generalizing is when we conclude a claim about a group, the population, from a claim about some part of it, the sample. Plausible premises about the sample are called inductive evidence. I thought it was interesting when he talked about hasty generalizations and using anecdotal evidence. The reason this particular part stood out to me, was because I do this a lot of times. I will generalize from too small of a sample, and like Epstein said, this is how stereotypes begin. An example of a hasty generalization is: " That Asian woman got into a car accident, so all Asians are bad drivers." Lastly, a generalization is an argument. There are three premises needed for a good generalization. First, the sample is representative. Second, the sample is big enough. Third, the same is studied well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment