Friday, November 5, 2010

Appeals to Emotion

In Chapter 10 Epstein talks about using appeals to emotion. He states that emotions do and should play a role in our reasoning. We cannot begin to make a good decision if we do not consider the significance in our emotional life. An appeal to emotion in an argument is a premise that says, roughly, you should believe or do something because you feel a certain way. Throughout the chapter he talks about different aspects of  appeal to emotion such as an appeal to pity, appeal to fear, appeal to vanity, and appeal to spite. Epstein also discusses the concept of calling in your debts and how it appeals to the opposite of spite, " You should believe or do something if you owe someone favor."
The appeal to emotion that is most striking to me is an appeal to pity. I'll admit that I can be convinced if someone or something does a good job of making me feel sorry for someone. For example, the other day I ran into a woman who was collecting money for her child that was suffering from leukemia and she was looking for any donations to help pay for treatment. Of course after seeing the picture, and seeing the pleading look in her eyes, there was no way I could turn my back and not contribute even a little bit. So, in this sense, the woman used an appeal to my emotion and made me feel pity so that I could give her some money.

No comments:

Post a Comment