Saturday, October 23, 2010

Usefulness of Assignment #2

Working on assignment 2 about Social Organizations has turned out to be useful in many ways. For one thing, I learned a lot about the actual organization that we chose to do our project on which  was PETA. I've always heard about PETA and known they did stuff for animal rights, but I didn't really know specifics. Even though I don't plan on giving up meat and going vegetarian any time soon, it was interesting to see from their point of view, what they believed in, and how animals should be treated. Another thing that was useful about doing this assignment was how it linked into concepts from the text. I learned how to spot and recognize concealed claims in advertisements. Many organizations besides PETA try to appeal to your emotions to help support their cause. Sometimes it can be unintentional, but they include the use of different fallacies such as ridicule and strawman. To make their arguments even stronger, a lot of times organizations use celebrities to endorse and promote themselves.They know that people tend to conform to what everyone else is doing, so if the celebrities are doing it, and it's a trend, it's most likely that people will follow suit.

1 comment:

  1. I really do agree with what you said that the assignment number 2 allow me to learn many new things about the organization. There are so many organizations that I have heard of and think that they are interesting. However, rarely that I spend sometime look into it and try to understand the real goal of the organization. In this assignment, I have look into different organizations that I have heard of and than really learn about them. I also see many things that I have not realized before. For example, I can see that what group of population the organizations are targeting and what methods they use. For different groups of population, there are different way to represent the idea to make it more interesting for that specific group.

    ReplyDelete