For example, " Either the Giants win this game tonight, or the Braves will take the series." The part of the claim that comes after the "or" is known as the alternative.
Another concept that I learned about was conditional claims. A conditional claim is a conditional if it can be rewritten as an "if.. then.. claim that must have the same truth-value. An example of a conditional claim would be:
" If you clean your room and wash the dishes, then I'll let you go to Lui's birthday party."
In a conditional written as "If A, then B" the claim A is known as the antecedent, and the claim B is the consequent. So in the example I gave, "If you clean your room" would be the antecedent. " Then I'll let you go to Lui's birthday party" is the consequent.
I really like the way you layout your post. First you provide the general information and explanation, then you give out specific examples. I think the two concepts that you learn from chapter 6 are very common in real life. We use compound claims and conditional claims all the time in our daily life. Parents usually use conditional claims to make their kids to something. Compound claims are predictions, compromises, or negotiation. I think both of those claims can be useful in arguments if we know how to apply them correctly and effectively. Those claims are helpful for argument and communication.
ReplyDelete